Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Matrimony

I'm a normal girl, I guess. I'm 47 and single and childless. But, I still want to get married. I still have fantasies about the perfect wedding dress.

I fantasize about the ceremony. Who will I have as my maids of honor? What will my bridesmaids wear? Where will I have the ceremony? What will the cake look like??

I look at my ring finger and wonder why there's nothing there.

Did I do something wrong? Is there someone for everybody? Did I miss my chance? Why am I still alone?

These are all valid questions. I also belong to a church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) that emphasizes a lot on family. On families being forever. On how important marriage is. Think about being single in that atmosphere!

So, when I think about the recent controversy over Proposition 8 and DOMA, I am proud of our Supreme Court for moving equality forward.

Primarily I support marriage equality because I believe that we should all have equal standing under the law. As long as the government is involved in marriage, it has to treat us all equally!

But, beyond that, as a romantic (who still believes in happily ever after), I just feel that any two people who love each other enough to dedicate their lives to one another and to raising a family together, should not be told they aren't able to.

Love conquers all. (At least, that is my hope and prayer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment