Sunday, February 22, 2015

Hey! Music in the 80's wasn't that bad! IMHO

I like to listen to podcasts when I walk my dog. 



(She'll be 16 at the end of May and still walks 1-2 miles a day!)

This morning I listened to an episode of NPR's terrific All Songs Considered. I discovered this podcast maybe 10 years ago and I love it. It's introduced me to many bands that I love that I maybe would never have heard of because I don't listen to Top 40 radio or pop music much anymore. (I'm mainly a classical music nerd.)

One of the groups I discovered thanks to All Songs is Mumford and Sons, for example. 

The podcast I listened to this morning was called "The '80's: Were They Really That Bad?"

My answer to this question would be "NO!" - but they did an hour of trashing the 80's. Now, I agree that the 80's weren't the best decades for music. The 50's, the 60's the 70's... you can't really compare. On the other hand, post-80s there wasn't much. Grunge, rap, hip-hop, these are reasons I tune my radio either to NPR or to an oldies station. 

Reasons I like the 80's:

One, I graduated in 1984. So, it was the soundtrack to my high school experience. 

Two, it was happy music. You tapped your foot, you could sing along, it just made me happy. 

Hall & Oates, Duran Duran, Quarterflash, I just loved them.

Now, unfortunately, there was also David Lee Roth out there. 

I may not be a music critic like the guys on All Songs, but the music from the 80's makes me happy so who cares?

No comments:

Post a Comment