Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Tragic Comedy of Dogs

“A dog reflects the family life. Whoever saw a frisky dog in a gloomy family, or a sad dog in a happy one? Snarling people have snarling dogs, dangerous people have dangerous ones.” 

 
 
This is Misty. Poor, dear, darling Misty. She is full of character really. First thing, she is a lady. She is full of dignity and poise. She is afraid of "being bad". She is such an introvert and doesn't want to be caught doing something that might embarass her. (Reminds me of me, actually.) She loves playing ball. 

But, unfortunately, she is paranoid. Paranoid of pills and medication. It is incredibly frustrating and - at some level - hurtful. When she refuses to take certain foods, it hurts me. It depresses me. So, yes, on some level, I am as neurotic as my dog!

A week ago, she came up lame. I tried to give her a painkiller - and, since then, she will not eat from her dog food bowl! Never mind the fact that I tried to sneak in an english muffin with jelly (!!), but still she won't eat from the bowl. Aaaarrrrggghhh!!!!!!! I can still feed her, though. I just put a scoop of the dry food in front of her on her pillow. Simple!

Still, it is incredibly frustrating. I keep on thinking any day, she'll eat out of her bowl again. Or is this permanent? The vet wants to put her on supplements. But that's impossible! She is just so obstinate. 

Do we get the dogs we deserve? Or do the dogs change to resemble us? 

If anyone has any suggestions, I am welcome to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment