Saturday, October 11, 2014

Don't Call Me A Christian

Yeah, I actually wrote that. I'll say it again, in uppercase letters for effect: DON'T CALL ME A CHRISTIAN. 

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not an atheist. I believe in a God and I believe that Jesus Christ died for my sins (and everyone else's!). I believe in the message of Christ, but I also believe that most Christians (at least the vocal ones) aren't following that message. This is where I get off the train.

Many try to tell you that you have to believe a certain way or you won't get to Heaven. Well, isn't this just spiritual blackmail? Would God have to resort to extortion? And what makes those people right? Besides, those really aren't the people I'd want to spend eternity with. 

After all, it's our actions that are important. It's what we do while we're down here. Whether you believe in an afterlife or not, that's what it all comes down to. Either I've got one shot or, if reincarnation is real, I've got several. Still, it comes down to what you do. 

Do you spend your entire life trying to make life better for yourself, your family, for people that look like you, that think like you... or do you try to make it better for everyone? For all God's creations? 

The more I see the stands so-called Christians take, the words that come from their mouths, the actions they take, the more I say: I'M NO CHRISTIAN. And I'm sure that Christ cringes every time he sees what people do and say in His name. (Mohammed is probably pretty steamed too, come to that.)

I came to epiphany a couple of years ago. It's about why we're all so different down here. Gay and straight, black and white, Christian and Muslim, male and female, why would God do that if only the white, straight, married men were the chosen ones? BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT. Because it's a test. He wants to see if we can learn to love each other. After all, it's easy to love people just like you. I find it easy to like people that think like me. People that hate reality shows and rap music and are pro-choice, they're easy to like. It's people like the Glenn Becks and Michelle Bachmanns of the world, I need to work at. 

Food for thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment